Your Guide to Edmonton Kitchen Renovations
Posted on: 2022-11-11
Are you gearing up to start an Edmonton kitchen renovation? Or is the idea rolling around freshly in your head?
The kitchen is the heart of the home, and creating a magnificent space is all about design and planning.
The process may be confusing, but Parabola Developments is here to help!
Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about your kitchen renovation:
Create a Kitchen Renovation Budget
As important as it may be to upgrade your kitchen, it’s equally important that you keep things as affordable as possible.
Fortunately, you don’t have to sacrifice style and comfort when creating the perfect kitchen – you just have to budget!
Here are some tips you can use to save money on your kitchen renovation costs:
Plan Your Renovation
One of the most common renovation cost pitfalls that many homeowners fall into is not being prepared for the renovation.
In order to carry out a kitchen reno that suits your budget, you need to plan ahead.
This means looking at similar projects and their costs, as well as figuring out how much of the renovation you can DIY and handle on your own.
From there, you can start comparing the prices of materials, DIY equipment, and the cost of a professional contractor.
Consider Small Kitchen Renovation Ideas
It’s important when you’re planning a kitchen reno around a budget that you don’t let your ideas become too lofty!
When you are redoing your old kitchen, it can be tempting to make big and bold decisions during the planning phase.
However, these ideas may not really work with your budget.
Instead, consider more subtle alternatives, such as cutting out a wall instead of knocking it down or browsing prebuilt track lights instead of spending money on recessed lighting.
A few little changes can go a long way!
Don’t Turf Your Appliances and Cabinets If You Don’t Have To
It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of an Edmonton kitchen renovation and dream about fancy new appliances with Wifi, touchscreens, and other unique features.
The same goes for tearing down your kitchen cabinets and replacing them with shiny new ones.
But before you turf your current appliances and cabinets, think about your budget!
Yes, brand new appliances and cabinets are beautiful and stunning, but a beautiful and stunning kitchen reno can be done using your existing stuff.
Choose Your Materials
Before you can truly realize your kitchen renovation costs, you have to consider what types of materials you are going to use in your project.
From countertops to backsplashes, here are some kitchen renovation ideas when it comes to materials:
Best Kitchen Countertops
If you’re looking to replace your countertops during your kitchen renovation project, here are some popular countertop materials to consider:
- Quartz: Quartz countertops offer a modern and polished look that is available in a wide range of colors and patterns. This natural material is stain, scratch, heat, and impact resistant.
- Laminate: Laminate countertops are a budget-friendly option that can give your kitchen a trendy look! Laminate is available in a ton of colors and patterns, with some patterns resembling natural stone.
- Marble: Marble countertops are classic and timeless, with beautiful natural patterns that hide imperfections such as stains and wear.
- Concrete: For a modern countertop choice, consider going with concrete! This completely customizable countertop option is available in a variety of colors and textures.
For more amazing countertop ideas, click here!
Best Kitchen Flooring
When it comes to kitchen flooring, you want something that is stylish but also easy to clean and durable.
Kitchens are usually the busiest room in the house where families not only cook and eat but where they also walk through to get to the rest of the house.
So, when it comes to choosing the best kitchen flooring, you need to think about:
- Durability: Kitchen floors need to withstand foot traffic and spills.
- Water-Resistance: A good kitchen floor also needs to handle liquids and not become damaged by the occasional splash.
- Scrubbability: Kitchen floors get notoriously messy, so you want to choose a flooring type that is easy to clean.
- Design: Apart from how well it stands up to use, your kitchen floor should match your overall design.
Luckily, there are many types of kitchen floors to choose from that will provide you with the above features, such as:
- Porcelain Tile: Porcelain is extremely durable, waterproof, stain resistant, and perfect for high-traffic areas. However, it does need to be resealed periodically to prevent stains.
- EVP (Engineered Vinyl Plank): EVP is the new kid on the block when it comes to kitchen flooring. It can look like luxury vinyl or real hardwood flooring, but it’s waterproof and very durable.
- Stone Tile: Stone tiles add a natural look to any kitchen, with a unique design and non-slip surface – but it is on the expensive side and can easily stain if not regularly sealed. Stone tiling includes slate, granite, marble, and travertine.
- Cork: Cork isn’t just for wine bottles! This budget-friendly flooring is warm and cushiony, but it can be easily scratched by heavy objects.
Kitchen Backsplash Ideas
Kitchen backsplashes not only protect your walls from food splatter and water damage, but they can also enhance the look of your kitchen!
There are many different kitchen renovations ideas to choose from when it comes to your backsplash, such as:
- Metal: Metal backsplashes are made of stainless steel or coated tin and can be embossed with classic patterns or left flat for a sleek and modern look.
- Penny Tile: Penny tile is made of small rounded pieces that come in colors from gold and silver to bright blues and yellows. It is easy to install and easy to take care of.
- Marble Tile: Marble never goes out of style, and you can use large, square pieces to create a beautiful backsplash. Marble comes in a variety of colors and patterns to create a truly unique look.
Choosing the Right Kitchen Appliances
If it is time to retire your worn appliance during your kitchen renovation, here are some tips for choosing the right appliances:
Gas vs. Electric Stove
When it comes to stoves, you have two main choices: gas or electric.
Gas stoves require a supply of natural gas or propane, while electric stoves use your home’s electricity.
They actually cost around the same when it comes to similar models, but there are other differences you should consider when choosing between the two:
- Electric stoves are easy to clean, versatile, have lower installation costs, and have extra storage space. However, they aren’t as efficient, are less reliable and durable, and are slower to heat.
- Gas stoves provide faster and more even cooking with more cooking options and lower operating costs. However, they do have open flames and cost more to install.
You’d think that refrigerators are fairly straightforward, but did you know there are three different installation types to choose from?
- Freestanding: Freestanding fridges are not installed directly into your kitchen and often have larger capacities. You can also move them around if you change up your kitchen design.
- Built-In: Built-in fridges are typically taller than freestanding fridges and fit flush with your countertop depth for a seamless look.
- Columns/Fully Integrated: These types of fridges blend seamlessly into your design to the point where it’s difficult to distinguish them from the rest of the cabinetry!
In order to choose the right refrigerator for your new kitchen, think about your family’s food storage needs by looking at size and capacity!
There are two factors you need to consider when choosing a new dishwasher: style and functionality.
You want to choose a style that matches the rest of the kitchen, especially your other appliances.
However, it’s important to look at the dishwasher’s cleaning features to ensure that it will meet your needs and complement your cleaning habits.
Choose a Kitchen Reno Design
The right materials and appliances are an important aspect of kitchen design, but have you thought about what you want your kitchen to actually look like?
Here are some kitchen renovation ideas to get you started:
A timeless kitchen design is aesthetically pleasing and never goes out of style!
You can create this look by incorporating natural materials, such as stone countertops, and neutral colors, like white, brown, and grey.
This may seem boring, but timeless kitchens are basically blank canvases. You can easily change the decor of your kitchen without investing in another renovation.
Contemporary kitchens use both light and dark colors to create a modern look.
Dark cabinets in colors like grey, black, and brown are paired with white countertops to create depth and draw in the eye.
While contemporary kitchens don’t have a lot of decorations, a few eye-catching pieces are placed throughout, such as a colorful fruit basket or a large bouquet of flowers.
Minimalist kitchens are perfect for smaller kitchens, using only one or two colors throughout the space.
Typically, a minimalist kitchen design will focus on a neutral color, such as gray, black, or white, and pair it with an accent color.
These kitchens are often free of color to give them a, well, minimalist look!
Wood and metal are the key features of a rustic kitchen to create a perfect combination of roughness and comfort.
To create a rustic kitchen, think dark wood cabinets and dark or light countertops, with plenty of natural elements such as wood and stone.
Rustic kitchens can be pulled off in smaller kitchens, but this design works best for larger spaces.
Metal is prominent in an industrial kitchen design with lots and lots of stainless steel!
You can also incorporate other industrial elements, such as metal pipes and shelves for your cabinets.
Colors such as bronze and black are perfect for industrial kitchens, with copper countertops creating a fun and unique look.
How to Make Your Kitchen Design Fit Your Space
You can fall in love with the most amazing kitchen on HGTV, but if it doesn’t fit your space, it isn’t going to happen!
Here are some kitchen renovation ideas based on the amount of space you have:
Small Kitchen Renovation Ideas
Even the tiniest kitchen spaces can be upgraded to look amazing! Check out these small kitchen renovation ideas:
- Add a Prep Area: Adjustable kitchen carts and bar carts can easily add a prep area to small kitchens – and you can move them around!
- Remove Your Upper Cabinets: Opt instead for shelves that will give your small kitchen a more open feel.
- Use Invisible Hardware: In smaller spaces, you don’t want to be constantly jabbing yourself with handles! You can use more integrated pulls or touch-to-open cabinetry to make your workspace more efficient.
- Use Light Colors: Light colors can visually expand your kitchen, making it feel larger. Use a light palette on your countertops, backsplashes, and walls.
Large Kitchen Renovation Ideas
Have lots of space to work with? Here are some great large kitchen renovation ideas:
- Add a Kitchen Island: In a larger kitchen, you can easily add a kitchen island to create more counter space. Consider adding stools or high kitchen chairs for an additional seating area!
- Storage Galore: Large kitchens mean more room for storage, so take advantage of your space by adding more drawers and open shelves.
- Create a Focal Point: By using a backsplash or bright color, you can easily create a focal point in your large kitchen.
- Lots of Counter Space: If your space can accommodate it, consider adding more counter space!
Contact the Edmonton Kitchen Renovation Experts!
Our professional team at Parabola Developments understands that you want to invest in a kitchen renovation that will last for years.
We are dedicated to working with you to design a kitchen that accentuates the heart of your home.