10 Things to Consider When Buying an Electric Fireplace
Posted on: 2014-01-09
If your home doesn’t have a fireplace, but you wish that it did, an electric fireplace can be a great solution. These fireplaces are portable, and come in many different styles. They do not produce real flames, so you don’t need to hook them up to a chimney, but they do produce some heat and can easily warm up a room.
Should I Take The Plunge?
Electric fireplaces can be a great addition to any room, especially when converting an unfinished basement into an entertainment area. If you’re thinking about purchasing an electric fireplace, here are ten things to consider:
- Functionality. Look for one that does double-duty. There are a number of electric fireplaces on the market that double as stands for flat-panel televisions.
- Power. Check the wattage and BTUs of each model before choosing one. This impacts the amount of heat produced by the fireplaces, as well as the amount of electricity that it uses.
- Size. Consider the size of the room that the fireplace is going to be placed in. If you purchase one that produces too much heat for the size of the space, you could end up with a very uncomfortable room.
- Space. Make sure that you have enough space for an electric fireplace. They are not small, and can take up quite a large portion of the room.
- Aesthetics. Consider your overall décor. You need an electric fireplace that works well with it.
- Finish. The wood finish (if you choose one with a wood finish) should complement or match the wooden furniture in your room as well.
- Control. Look for an electric fireplace with a thermostat control. This way you can adjust the temperature so that it doesn’t become too hot in the room.
- Installation. Consider purchasing an in-wall unit. These are hung on the wall, rather than placed on the floor, and look for modern than their counterparts.
- Resemblance. If you have the space, purchase an electric fireplace that resembles a real fireplace, complete with mantelpiece. Some are so sophisticated that no one will know that it isn’t the real deal – until they get too close.
- Dimensions. If you don’t have much space and still want an electric fireplace, look for one specifically designed to fit into a corner.
Want a professional opinion? Contact Parabola Developments!